DEAR NC-ACDA DIRECTORS,
Thank you to everyone who submitted auditions for the 2016 NC Honor Choirs. We had a total of 1001 singers from the 6 state region who uploaded recordings for 475 spots in four honor choirs. The judges listened by blind audition and were impressed with the high level of singing. Kudos to you for keeping the standard of excellence for which the North Central Honor Choirs are known. Thank you also for your patience when trying to use OPUS Events on Friday.
Congratulations to those of you who have students singing in the 2016 NC-ACDA Honor Choirs. Below is important information for you and your parents. You are encouraged to forward (or cut and paste) this message to your parents. Please inform your parents of the student’s audition number and the voicing/section the students was selected to sing in the choir.
Cathy Britton, Honor Choir Chair
2016 NC-ACDA HONOR CHOIRS TEACHERS & PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Congratulations on your singer’s successful audition into honor choir. This is quite an accomplishment and participation can be life changing for students. Here is information to get you started on the registration process.
1. Online information: Registration will open on Tuesday, November 10 and close on midnight Friday, November 20. To access the Registration page, click the link in the right column of this page for the choir your child will be participating in, and follow the instructions at the top of the page.
2. Registration information will include a medical form and code of conduct as well as general information. You’ll need to know your student’s audition number and the voicing or section in which he/she was placed for the choir. That placement might be different than what the your singer auditioned for.
3. Payment will be through the teacher who submitted the audition and handled in the same manner as the audition payment. Teachers can go to OpusEvent.com, click the link to ACDA North Central Division 2016 Honor Choirs, and log in with their ACDA Web ID and Password, and pay for the participation fees with a credit card.
4. IMPORTANT - There is a Liability Waiver that must be downloaded, printed off and signed in front of a notary. The waiver must be mailed to the appropriate choir coordinator. The coordinator must have the original copy. You cannot scan and send in an email. Coordinator addresses are listed on the instruction sheet. The waiver should be in the mail by November 20.
5. Music will be mailed to the director to give to students. Students need to be fully prepared before they come to the first rehearsal.
6. Hotels: On the registration information sheet posted on the audition results pages, there is hotel information for each choir—please note that each choir is being housed in specific hotels and the singers are required to stay in the hotel(s) specified for that ensemble. Please read the instructions carefully and make your room reservations as soon as possible. Deadline for hotel registration is December 8.
2016 NC-ACDA Honor Choir Chair
Sioux Falls, SD
Dear North Central ACDA Member,
As conductors we are servants of the choral art, our singers, our communities, and so much more. Join us in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, February 17 - 20, 2016, to explore the many ways in which choral conductors Serve, Connect, and Celebrate the art of choral music.
Our Keynote Speaker will be Ramona Wis, author of The Conductor As Leader: Principles of Leadership Applied to Life on the Podium. Other featured guest performers and special events include VOCES8 with Ola Gjeilo, performance of Verdi’s Requiem, Music in Worship event: "This We Pray," and the Collegiate ENGAGE choir (equip, nurture, guide, aspire, grow, empower).
IMMERSION DAY, Februrary 17
Are you an ACDA member serving in a middle and/or high school with fewer than 500 secondary students, grades 9-12? We want to celebrate with you and your students!
• All-day Workshop: "Choral Success in Small School Settings: A Workshop for Vocal Music Educators" will be led by Dr. Barbara Brinson, our guest clinician, author of Choral Music Methods and Materials: Developing Successful Choral Programs (Grades 5 to 12). The day is dedicated to recognizing the incredible value and accomplishments of choral musicians in small schools.
• The first-ever North Central High School Men’s Festival Choir is open to male singers in grades 9-12 who attend schools with 500 or fewer secondary students in middle and/or high school. The choir will be led by nationally-recognized conductor Dr. Jefferson Johnson! The festival runs concurrently with the workshop, with the opportunity for workshop participants to attend a rehearsal.
Each of our outstanding choirs will perform in the stunning acoustic of the Mary W. Sommervold Hall in Washington Pavillion.
Check out the Quick Links on the right for information on conference highlights!
See also: Hotels
(Blue headings are active links)
CONFERENCE: Feb. 18-20
Schedule of Events
Music in Worship
Collegiate ACDA Members
the latest Melisma!
NEW for NC Members—
Over the next school year, your
NCACDA R&S Chairs are planning
Google Hangout sessions—
talking in real-time using Google!
HOW-TO, DATES, TOPICS
The NEXT Hangout
will be December 13, 2015
at 2:30 PM with Junior High/
Middle School R&S Chair,
Topic: National Standards
for Middle School Choir